Mark GillespieM.D. Request An Appointment
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Laser Cataract Surgery
- Lasik Surgery
- Refractive Surgery
Dr. Gillespie is a board certified comprehensive ophthalmologist, anterior segment and refractive eye surgeon. He joined the Ophthalmology Group alongside Drs. Johnson, Borodofsky and Myers in 1985. From the beginning, he has believed that each patient gets 100% of his attention in trying to achieve their vision goals.
Dr. Gillespie and his partners pride themselves in using the most up-to-date technology to perform procedures usually found in major metropolitan areas and academic centers. These include:
- Laser assisted cataract surgery with several types of multifocal lens implants designed to give the best chance of independence from glasses
- Dropless cataract surgery
- LASIK laser surgery for the correction of nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism
- DSEK – An advanced corneal transplantation procedure
- Blepharoplasty and other eyelid plastic surgery procedures
- Glaucoma laser procedures
- Advanced glaucoma surgery including the new, minimally invasion glaucoma procedures such as Istents, trabectome and canaloplasty that are performed by only a minority of eye surgeons
Dr. Gillespie graduated summa cum laude from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. He also attended Vanderbilt Medical School and did a medical internship at Evanston Hospital near Chicago. His ophthalmology residency training was at the University of Virginia from 1982-1985. He was subsequently recognized and certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. He is currently a member of several specialty societies including the:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Refractive Surgery Alliance
Credentials and Awards
- Dr. Gillespie has been practicing as a part of the Ophthalmology Group since 1985. He has served as medical director for the Eye Surgery Center of Paducah since its opening in 1992.
- Dr. Gillespie currently writes a monthly newspaper column for the Senior Scene magazine.
- Dr. Gillespie is a three-time winner of the Paducah Sun’s Favorite Ophthalmologist Award!